Nov. 18, 2021 – Court Operations Have Changed
To read the entire notice, please click here: https://www.njcourts.gov/notices/2021/n211118a.pdf?c=3wC
Please take notice that the court procedures vary in each jurisdiction, you should contact your local county court to find out if you should appear in person or virtually for any proceedings.
In-Person appearances for court:
- Trials on Final Restraining Orders and Final Protective Orders
- Certain criminal court proceedings that involve defendants not in custody
*For the matters listed above, the judges may permit one or more participants to participate virtually based on the individual facts and circumstances of the case.
Virtual appearances for court:
- Applications for a temporary restraining order (TRO) and initial conferences
- Initial applications for protection pursuant to the Sexual Assault Survivor Protection Act (SASPA)
- Hearings to establish or modify child support
- Uncontested divorces
- Parent education conferences
- Landlord tenant proceedings
- Routine motion arguments and case management conferences in all trial divisions of the Superior Court and in the Municipal Courts
*For the virtual matters, the judges may accommodate a participant who appears and requests to participate in person.
If you or someone you know has questions about the criminal charges or the process, please feel free to contact your local Victim Witness Advocate at the Prosecutor’s Office. For a listing by county, please click here: County Prosecutor’s Offices Victim Witness Advocates
Victims of Crime Compensation Office (VCCO)
If you have filed a TRO or criminal charges against your harm doer, you may be eligible for benefits through the Victims of Crime Compensation Office. To learn more about eligibility and benefits, please click here: https://www.njoag.gov/vcco/vcco-victims/
Address Confidentiality Program (ACP)
It is a “statewide program administered by the Division on Women that provides survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking and reproductive health patients and providers with a legal substitute address for interacting with all state and local government agencies, in addition to a confidential mail forwarding service.” Please find more information here: https://www.nj.gov/dcf/women/acp/